Current Weather @ 6:26 PM Clear skies Temp 48.1º Humidity 63% Winds WNW 3.0mph Max Gust 20.0mph
Todays Extremes High 61.4º Low 33.5º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 27"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)

(Click alert for more info)
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 06:00 PM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): 43 mins  
Highland to Big Bear (330): 44 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 64 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 66 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 34 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 36 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 488, Members: 7 ...
mountainart
PasadenaCarter
Mtnjp
Sadie Girl
WoolyBear

most ever online: 1871
(Members: 29, Guests: 1842) on Nov 30 : 08:15am

Members: 5851
Newest member: Thresher321
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:
Happy Birthday to:

Birthday Cake
nessa79

Upcoming Birthdays:
Dec 14 Dave™
Dec 14 Spiguy
Dec 15 david
Dec 15 Voyeur
Dec 15 J. R. Rodriquez
Dec 15 MrOwl
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: FIRE DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Fire prevention gel

Author Post
EvaJ
Fri Aug 09 2019, 12:58AM Email Thread Print View
Registered Member #17183
:
When I retired, San Bernardino County Fire was starting to use Thermo Gel. My department did not have it. The extent of my knowledge on gel was what I learned from reps at the annual trade show. Having lost a home to the Panorama Fire (I was a teenager), I know it’s a miserable situation. My Dad who is also a retired firefighter was off duty that day but fought to save our house by ripping off the shake shingles as they caught fire. He couldn’t keep up and as he drove away to go to work he saw our house burning. If gel had existed in those days, he would have used it in a heartbeat. The question for mountain dwellers is whether you have time to apply it and still get safely off the hill. That depends on a number of variables. Here’s an old Facebook post about SBCO gel task force. If the link gets deleted, do a search for San Bernardino County Fire gel task force. [Click Here]
RH_Runner
Fri Aug 09 2019, 05:02AM

Registered Member #13942
:
I have several gallons of home Phos-Chek with a backpack sprayer, just in case. We keep our home cleared of the "usual" brush, needles, branches, etc. If I even think that there is a chance that we will have to evacuate, I will use the Phos-Chek and get off the hill. We are not ones to stick it out, although I do not fault anyone that feels that they must.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!
BootsNBridles
Fri Aug 09 2019, 11:52AM

Registered Member #2093
:
Also remember that houses routinely burn from the inside out- even in wildfires. Are your eaves boxed? are your vents covered in fine screen or do they have a solid cover that can be easily placed? What kind of window coverings do you have? Heat radiating through windows can catch interior possessions on fire.
RH_Runner
Fri Aug 09 2019, 01:20PM

Registered Member #13942
:
All four vents have screens and eves are boxed with fascia board. Windows are standard.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!
Jellylorum
Fri Aug 09 2019, 01:48PM

Registered Member #2069
:
If you have time when evacuating, remove window coverings. Curtains can ignite from exterior heat during a fire. Close doggie doors. Embers can enter the house through them.

I was told to do whatever may assist firefighters. Store away umbrellas and lawn chairs. Fasten down trash cans (in Baldwin Lake, mine have gone airborne in windy conditions - maybe 100 feet into the air and landed a block away). Leave outdoor lights on. Put up a ladder so they can more quickly reach the roof.

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top