Current Weather @ 12:35 PM clear Temp 81.8º Humidity 18% Winds ENE 8.0mph Max Gust 19.6mph
Todays Extremes High 81.8º Low 42.0º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 93"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 12:30 PM v2.1
Run Spr to Highland  (330): 22 mins  
Highland to Run Spr  (330): 22 mins  
Big Bear to Run Spr    (18): 21 mins  
Run Spr to Big Bear    (18): 21 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 64 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 65 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 34 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 35 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 304, Members: 8 ...
Quakes🦊
Neesie
MaryJ
KK
SrRaceFan
Mike Brookman
WoolyBear

most ever online: 1871
(Members: 29, Guests: 1842) on Nov 30 : 08:15am

Members: 6098
Newest member: Rustydog
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:

Upcoming Birthdays:
May 29 mtnmed
May 29 Big Bear Flyer
May 29 AshleyAnn
Jun 01 SilentSky
Jun 01 Glen
Jun 02 Kix
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: HISTORY OF BIG BEAR
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Nick names of place around the valley

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
Skyline Drive
Thu Oct 17 2019, 08:21AM Email Thread Print View

Registered Member #191
:
The Valley has a lot of place with local nicknames some old some some newer some have meaning I thought it might be fun guessing why they have them or maybe you know why.

Taj Mahal
Upset locals about cityhood over built opulent city office

China Garden
My Guess
Area of soft mud car and wagons sunk to the axle’s in the springtime and sink to China

Godwins corner
Guess
Lots of car crashes I remember lots of cars out in the field plus DR. Godwin lived in the house at the corner

Dead Mans Corner
No Idea I know it was a place with a fire department alarm.

Fawnskin Freeway
The newer wide Stretch of new highway Good Luck to Maronies on North Shore (38) and replaced going by LightHouse campground

Honda Acres-Bear City
This one from the 60s/ any ideas why, its not like any Hondas were around

200 acres

80 acres

Warty Rocks up on skyline
This one is easy the boulders look to have warts

Stonehenge-Bluff Mesa

Eye of the Gods
blow up
Indians

Skunk Hallow west of Redant Hill

Moonridge
I think its the developments name

Sugarloaf

Fawnskin
My Guess-Pelts from hunters from Deer Hunting

Some are obvious some from events or change?

Indian head test pattern snowflakes
©ammy ⭐
Fri Oct 18 2019, 09:41PM

:
Skyline Drive wrote ...

Fawnskin Freeway
The newer wide Stretch of new highway Good Luck to Maronies on North Shore (38) and replaced going by LightHouse campground

That's funny - I've never heard it called that but sometimes on my way to work I find myself accidentally going freeway speeds through here and then my mind wanders off into the future and I imagine this area as a 4 lane divided highway.
Skyline Drive
Sat Oct 19 2019, 06:42AM

Registered Member #191
:
One more
The Mushroom Caves

Socalman
Wed Jan 22 2020, 12:54PM

Socalman
Registered Member #228
:
If memory serves me correctly, Tom Core had a story in The Grizzly many years ago describing the fact that some early settlers came upon a skin of a fawn and named the area Fawnskin.
BootsNBridles
Thu Jan 23 2020, 09:01PM

Registered Member #2093
:
Rattlesnake Ridge....self explanatory.
Warren Strand
Fri Jan 31 2020, 04:41PM
Registered Member #116004
:
Some information on "Dead Man's Corner." I lived in Big Bear from 1970 to 1975, and as a BBHS student with a '72 Mustang Mach I, I was a member of the informal car club running amuck around the valley.

Dead Man's "Curve" - in my time - was on Hwy 18 as it makes the last right-hand curve (Eastbound) before the Stanfield Cutoff intersection. Today, the curve is a gentle, well-engineered curve that probably causes no one any concern. Not so in the '70s...

As you may guess, the highway was a 2-lane then, and the right-hand turn was almost a 90 degree elbow...

Here's the "dead man" part: the roadway was graded the opposite way it should have been, and just off the roadway in the middle of the turn was a gigantic Bonanza Pine. I personally witnessed several crashes into that tree, and heard many a story about it from my car enthusiast' friends and their fathers.

Hope that is a small slice of interesting info...GREAT THREAD!

Warren

Kind Regards,
Warren
Website
Cornbread
Fri Jan 31 2020, 04:47PM

cornbread
Registered Member #106
:
I always thought dead mans curve was on the blvd just west of circle K
Warren Strand
Fri Jan 31 2020, 04:47PM
:
I think Sugarloaf is simply named for Sugarloaf Mountain, almost directly south of the neighborhood we call Sugarloaf. I remember delivering lumber and building supplies to jobs in Sugarloaf for Homestead Lumber Co., in the early '70s.

Warren

Kind Regards,
Warren
Website
Warren Strand
Fri Jan 31 2020, 04:58PM
:
Cornbread wrote ...

I always thought dead mans curve was on the blvd just west of circle K

Yeah, Cornbread, that curve has also been straightened out (so to speak) such that it looks nothing like its former, dangerous self. You may be right about it holding the appellation as well, but though I cannot quite remember it, that Bear City curve had a slightly different name, and there was no speed involved on that stretch.

The other killer was Eastbound HWY 18 at what is now Big Bear Snow Play. Looks innocent enough, but that long straightaway was our dragstrip in those days...there is a pile of boulders just off the curve that caught some unlucky speeders, one of whom was an acquaintance of mine (we called him "Bozo") who died there in 1973.

Warren

Kind Regards,
Warren
Website
Skyline Drive
Fri Jan 31 2020, 06:52PM

Registered Member #191
:
Warren Strand wrote ...

Some information on "Dead Man's Corner." I lived in Big Bear from 1970 to 1975, and as a BBHS student with a '72 Mustang Mach I, I was a member of the informal car club running amuck around the valley.

Dead Man's "Curve" - in my time - was on Hwy 18 as it makes the last right-hand curve (Eastbound) before the Stanfield Cutoff intersection. Today, the curve is a gentle, well-engineered curve that probably causes no one any concern. Not so in the '70s...

As you may guess, the highway was a 2-lane then, and the right-hand turn was almost a 90 degree elbow...

That’s Godwin’s corner going eastbound before Stanfield. Dr. Goldwin lived in the house on the
East Side of the curve

Godwins corner turned right up hill then another right with a flat spot on top then another right with the road going down hill, at speed the car would unweight on rhe flat spot on top then the right turn and the down slope caused the car to slide. Many cars would crash out in the pasture going west about where Vons is. Dead Mans is in Bear City west of circle K at Dawn

Here's the "dead man" part: the roadway was graded the opposite way it should have been, and just off the roadway in the middle of the turn was a gigantic Bonanza Pine. I personally witnessed several crashes into that tree, and heard many a story about it from my car enthusiast' friends and their fathers.

Hope that is a small slice of interesting info...GREAT THREAD!

Warren

Go to page       >>  

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top