Current Weather @ 11:35 AM Clear skies Temp 58.5º Humidity 35% Winds ENE 4.0mph Max Gust 11.5mph
Todays Extremes High 59.0º Low 27.5º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 73"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 11:30 AM v2.1
Run Spr to Highland  (330): 21 mins  
Highland to Run Spr  (330): 21 mins  
Big Bear to Run Spr    (18): 21 mins  
Run Spr to Big Bear    (18): 21 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 66 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 67 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 35 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 36 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 338, Members: 11 ...
kleines Kanu
BigBearSteve
BlessedTwice
foetwinny
Tman
jms4par
mimoo
holeinbow
REBB
BootsNBridles
wolfman

most ever online: 1871
(Members: 29, Guests: 1842) on Nov 30 : 08:15am

Members: 6029
Newest member: RVCAMPINMAN
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Upcoming Birthdays:
Apr 01 Sky Line Drive
Apr 01 karvelis
Apr 02 billysmom
Apr 02 BB4me
Apr 02 LLGUS
Apr 03 BeachBear
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: GENERAL DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Frequently asked questions for fire funding Big Bear Fire Authority

Go to page   <<        >>  
Author Post
MtMan
Sat Feb 15 2020, 01:22PM

Registered Member #110
:
I am not aware of that issue being raised here, but thanks. It still is a tax that goes up EVERY year forever. Why would anyone would vote for that?

Shut Up and Fish!
Billyjean
Sat Feb 15 2020, 01:36PM
Registered Member #13171
:
Oooopsies!

Billy Jean is at your door.
rdoctor
Wed Feb 19 2020, 11:06PM
Registered Member #51776
:
I just read in the 2-19 Grizzly on page 3, comparing the County's Fawnskin Fire Station #96 budget to the proposed budget used for justifying Measure I. I couldn't believe it. This station was budgeted to receive a 3.5% COLA (cost of living adjustment) each and every consecutive year. Who in the private sector ever receives a 3.5% COLA as clockwork? We need administrators in our fire district who know how to run the budget they have and cares about the property owners in Big Bear. I don't know about you but I'm damn tired of being fleeced every year by a compounded 2% property tax increase whether it's needed or not.
Little
Wed Feb 26 2020, 08:13PM
Registered Member #122664
:
xx

Little

Little
Wed Feb 26 2020, 08:20PM
:
xx

Little

Little
Sun Mar 01 2020, 03:28PM
:
xx

Little

Little
Sun Mar 01 2020, 03:39PM
:
xx

Little

SSJ2012
Sun Mar 01 2020, 10:20PM
Registered Member #13817
:
One reason you’re seeing large increases in salaries is partly due the fact that the department was still consolidating. Their payroll was spread out through Big Bear Lake Fire Protection District, CSD and Big Bear Fire Authority. That’ll answer most of the doubling salaries. Another issue is, cities generally cover the HR and Payroll of their fire department, and station upkeep, along with equipment purchases aren’t always included in the budgets. This can also lead to misinformation. My major point is, San Bernardino County Fire has a budget for the mountains that is $20 million and has 93 personal in its budget, and then looking a South Lake Tahoe who has very similar size operating on smaller budget? I’m guessing on of the biggest problems is, part of the current district is in County, other parts are the CSD and then of course the City, which means the department requires an administration staff.

Now looking at the number of calls Big Bear Fire has, you can’t say oh, they only get 4.3 calls a day, they’re not that busy, 1 of those calls could be a large wildfire, or it could be to medical calls at the same time on opposite sides of the Valley, or a traffic accident with injuries on one of our 3 highways. Mutual Aid isn’t going to help us like it would Fontana, Redlands or Yucaipa.

Personally I looked for reasons to support the local department, unfortunately my own research lead me to the belief that perhaps the community would be better served under County Fire, where on weekends and holidays they could increase staffing and equipment. But even that would lead to parcel tax increase where those us in Fawnskin didn’t get a vote.

Oh the links for 2016 on all 3 districts are below

[Click Here]

[Click Here]

[Click Here]

Website
Sky Line Drive
Mon Mar 02 2020, 09:16AM

Registered Member #191
:
The only ones that favor Measure I are family members tied to the department, the Grizzly is tied, The ski areas must like the deal with a set price. It would be better if a business type that cause so much over use could be charged for the service. Post Office is horrible from Amazon.

I hope the Indian head test pattern avatar makes the P.C. snowflakes melt
ArchJohn
Mon Mar 02 2020, 01:41PM
John Acosta
Registered Member #2033
:
The City of Fontana's website says their budget is $37 million, not the $23 million stated above. Makes me wonder about the rest of the claimed numbers.

All I know is that there are too many times when there are no fire/paramedic personnel available, which is quite uncomfortable to think of. If something were to happen to a loved one because of this I could never forgive myself if I voted "no".

As far as the budget goes, join the Board of Directors and get a say in how the money is spent.
Website
Go to page   <<        >>  

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top